Each hiker is present at the RCC shop at least 20 minutes before the hike starts, so that there is enough time to fill in the waivers. Also to hand out the bracelets that indicate to which group each hiker belongs. Each participant can use one of RCC’S headlights.
The RCC shop is the starting point of the hike, so when the group is complete, the hike starts immediately. There are three water-breaks in total. The schedule is coordinated in a certain way that the hikers reach the top of the Tafelberg right before the sunrise.
Thereafter they enjoy the view from the top of the King Kong rock during the sunrise. The hike goes on after the sunrise. The way back is not the same trail as the way up.
The hike takes around 3-3.5 hours in total. The length of the trail is 8.5 km/5.3 miles. Every healthy person without injuries can do this hike. Some parts are more challenging than other parts, as you can see on the pictures.
The view from the top of the King Kong rock during the sunrise
Hiking in the dark at the Tafelberg
The fauna and flora
- Access to Santa Barbara Plantation
- Access to the Tafelberg
- Rent for a headlight
- At least one guide
- Put on sporty clothes
- Put on hiking shoes. If you don’t have those, we recommend comfortable sneakers that can get dirty.
- You’ll want to have something to drink during this activity. You can either bring your own water or buy cold beverages at our shop (you’ll only pass by our shop if the Tafelberg is the location you picked).
- We recommend bringing a small snack.
Solo or group experienced hikers must check in at the shop, sign the waiver and pay the entrance fee US$30
Sunrise HikeMin 1p - Max 150p
– Start Time (s): 05:00 am
(changes per month, as sunset timing differs per season)
– Available Days: Every 2 weeks on Sunday
– Duration: 3 – 3,5 hrs hrs
– Languages of the Tour: English or Dutch/Spanish, depending on client
– Meeting Place: RCC Shop at Santa Barbara entrance
– Arrival Time: At least 20 minutes in advance.
– Minimum Age: 6
Need More Information?
If you have a question about our services or have a special request, please contact us!